Monday, March 06, 2006

Where's our Headline?

I am rather disappointed with the Daily Iowan’s choice of sports headlines on Monday, March 6. To place the wrestling failure as the main headline over the basketball victory is a gross misunderstanding of importance. I understand that here at Iowa we expect that our wrestling program is among the top ten in the country, and has been for the better part of the last half century, however, I think the Daily Iowan missed a great opportunity to salute the greatest home court performance Iowa may ever see in basketball. To go undefeated at home is a tremendous accomplishment achieved by only very talented teams. After all the hardships that this group of players have gone through in the past three seasons, the lack of support from fans and media, you would think that when they finally make it to the top of the mountain that there could be some support there waiting for them. I don’t mean to down play the importance of the Iowa wrestling team finishing 6th in the Big Ten Tournament, but I’ve always thought that the positive news pieces should be getting the spotlight over the negative stories. I have been a student ticket holder for three years now, have gone to ever home game this season, and could not be more proud of what this team has accomplished. This is a season that I won’t forget; I just wish that I had a front-page headline to show my kids someday.

No comments: