Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Do We Really Care?

Note: This posting was published Wednesday, December 7th, 2005 in the Daily Iowan


I can’t say I was completely shocked when I saw that the Daily Iowan chose to publish an article on the possible legalization for active military members over 18. (I was glad it got second page, rather than taking the front page away from a much-deserved Scott Beck). Yet in still concerns me how consumed this campus is over the issue of lowering the legal drinking age. I laugh when student make false claims of “Well I can vote, so I should be able to drink.” HA! I would guess less than 25% of the student body between 18 and 21 votes, and second the only reason ANYONE on this campus wants the legal drinking age lowered is to ease their stress on a weekend and not have to worry about getting into bars or receiving a fat ticket. I myself am not opposed to lowering the drinking age, but most people don’t realize that all that does is shift the problem to a younger age group. After adjusting the drinking age high school juniors and seniors will experience even more binge drinking and there will be a nationwide problem (even more so than now) at high-school parties, exposing that many more teenagers to alcohol. I wish students on campus would take a look at problems in the community with a little more focus and attention rather than just trying to dump their problems off onto others.

No comments: